October 1, 2013

Day 1 Thoughts on The Kindness Challenge

I wondered last night which day will be the hardest of this challenge. The 1st, 2nd, last? I know it doesn't really matter and I guess we will all know come November 1, which day for us individually was our hardest.

But I can tell you I am so conscious of my thoughts today and how easily annoyed I can be.

Hurrying as I run my errands. Rushing through my day. Wanting the Costco lady to forgo the smiley face on the back of the receipt, because as she hands it to my little one, I am just going to intercept it anyways, so that I can record it in my checkbook. Lines to go faster. I need patience.

I am trying to remember every person is someone's daughter, son, father, mother, sister, or brother and then as I imagine my family and relatives I am reminded God made us all equal and beautiful.

I am reminded that everyone needs a friend.

A rock upon which they can stand. A hand to hold. An ear to listen. To be loved.

If this teaches me anything I want to be most conscious as to where I allow my mind to wander. We hold so much power when it comes to our thoughts. We can break habits of negative thought patterns by stopping bad thoughts in their tracks. Even the hardest person can be more sensitive and compassionate when they choose to see the good in others.



So many of our annoyances or frustrations derive from our own selfishness & jealousies as well as our own impatience. What about me? Woe is me. This wasn't done MY way. This isn't how I want it. That isn't the way I would do it.

Let's try and focus on our own issues today instead of the issues of another.  


We only live our lives. We only walk in our shoes. We only see what goes on in our four walls. Let's not pretend we know what it is like to be someone else.




No comments: