July 16, 2012

God is Fair & So is His Favor

I heard a sermon once in which the preacher made the statement that "God is not fair". The words bothered me so much immediately. I have since really struggled with that 'claim'. As it depicts God in a light that I personally feel, is so false.

Since the sermon that I heard, God has shown me continuously, verse after verse, there's a reason that message has bothered me so much. I have read scriptures that say otherwise.

God IS fair.

Some definitions of 'Fair': Free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice: a fair decisiona fair judge. Free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism. 

I think about how as a parent I attempt to make things fair for my children. How it's my job as a parent to bring about that "fairness" and do things in  a "just" manner. Because, Life is not fair. People are not fair. Situations are not fair. Hardships are not fair. Circumstances are not fair. There are more things on earth that are NOT fair, than fair. So it's my job to keep things in my home as fair as I can. As a parent I love my children equally. Not one more than the other. They are each so different from one another. Each with her own strengths and weaknesses. Talents & gifts. Each with her own endearing ways. I could never love one more than the other. They are each so precious in their own ways. They each brings something no one else ever could to our little family. And in my raising them, I believe in treating each one fairly, free from bias, prejudice or favoritism.


Through life & all the unfairness it brings I believe we can have peace in the fact that we serve an incredibly fair God. We serve a just God. When life and all it throws at us is unfair, we can rest in knowing our God is righteous and just, good and FAIR. Our God loves His children equally and counts us as precious in our own ways. He sees what we each bring to the table.

Here take a look at the proof I found. (There are many verses that talk about God being fair and how we should be fair like him, these are only a portion.)

Genesis 18:19 I have chosen him so that he would command his children and descendants to live the way the Lord wants them to, to live right and be FAIR. Then, I, the Lord will give Abraham what I promised him.

Leviticus 19:15 Be fair in your judging, you must not show special favor to poor people or great people, but be fair when you judge your neighbor.

Deuteronomy 32:4 He is like a rock; what he does is perfect, and he is always fair. He is a faithful God who does no wrong, who is right and fair.

1 Kings 9:4 But you must serve me as your father David did; he was fair and sincere. You must obey all I have commanded and keep my laws and rules.

Job 34:17 Can anyone govern who hates what is right? How can you blame God who is both fair and powerful?

Psalm 9:8 and he will judge the world in fairness; he will decide what is fair for the nations

Psalm 9:16 The Lord has made himself known by his fair decisions

Psalm 33:5 He loves what is right and fair; the Lord's love fills the earth.

Psalm 89:14 Your kingdom is built on what is right and fair. Love and truth are in all you do.

Psalm 103:6 The Lord does what is right and fair for all who are wronged by others.

Proverbs 21:3 Doing what is right and fair is more important to the Lord than sacrifices.

Isaiah 30:18 The Lord wants to show his mercy to you. He wants to rise and comfort you. The Lord is a fair God, and everyone who waits for his help will be happy.

Jeremiah 9:24 But if people want to brag, let them brag that they understand and know me. Let them brag that I am the Lord, and that I am kind and fair, and that I do things that are right on earth. This kind of bragging pleases me," says the Lord.

Ezekiel 18:25 But you say, 'What the Lord does isn't fair.' Listen, people of Israel. I am fair. It is what you do that is not fair!

John 5:30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

2 Thessalonians 1:6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you

Hebrews 6:10 God is fair; he will not forget the work you did and the love you showed for him by helping his people. And he will remember that you are still helping them.

I believe favor comes from God. I believe His Favor is fair because God is fair and favor is available for all of us who love Him. Favor can be bestowed upon all of God's children. Anyone who loves God can pray for favor and should pray for favor. 

God rewards. God gives. God takes away. God is fair. God will be fair.

Life isn't fair. Circumstances are not fair. But God is fair and we can find favor with Him.

Favor = (noun) an attitude of approval or liking (verb) feel or show approval or liking

Fact is God loves us all. When we strive to do what pleases the Lord we can find favor with him. Though we all fall short, God still approves of us. Like when our children fall short, nothing they do or don't do could ever make us love them less. If God didn't love us, He wouldn't have sent His son to die in our place. God created each of us. We are loved even when we fall short.

Favor as a form of favorite would imply that God has favorites, which Romans 2:11 says For God does not show favoritism.  

Therefore, God does NOT have favorites or favor certain children. God does not bestow his favor upon only certain followers like some game of chance or by a lottery system.

If salvation is available for all of us and Jesus died for ALL mankind wouldn't that mean we all have favor available to us? Proverbs 8:35 For those who find me find life and receive favor from the LORD. Are you following? Favor IS for all of us who love God.

We shouldn't brag about our blessings or things we receive or have. To speak in a way such as to say "Favor ain't fair" is an 'in someone's face' statement which sounds like 'I am more spiritual than you or God favors me more because of this or that'. 

And this isn't how God works. Favor IS fair. We all can be blessed. Anyone who loves and serves God can receive God's favor. Being blessed with this or that, while the person next to us has something less at the moment doesn't mean they are less than us as a person or christian. It doesn't mean you have done something that warrants a bigger amount of favor. Someone having more money or less, a higher social standing or less, a job or a loss, a family or striving to have a family, etc. doesn't mean more or less "favor."

We can ALL count our blessings and should NEVER compare our blessings or favor to anyone else's.

Sure, favor can come in different forms. We don't all receive the same rewards and blessings in life. Because we're all different. We all have different talents, strengths, weaknesses, struggles, needs, wants, desires, etc. 

God is fair. So I believe His favor lines up with His fairness.

And that favor is absolutely available to all of us.

Psalm 5:12 Surely, LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

Psalm 30:5 For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Proverbs 3:34 He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed.

Proverbs 11:27 Whoever seeks good finds favor, but evil comes to one who searches for it.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I really believe this!  God truly is fair and anyone can find favor with Him

Count your blessings. Don't compare your life to anyone else's. We have all been created as equal and are loved equally by God. Embrace your salvation. Strive to follow the example set before us and live a life of righteousness by being fair in your day to day interactions with others. Find peace in God's ability to be fair when all else isn't.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow thank you for this inspiring message! Such words of wisdom you were truly led by God's Holy Spirit.It has truly helped me and has given me clarity to what I always truly believed. This was divine conformation! By knowing the word of God helps and directs us. It gives us order and knowing the truth. And the truth sets us free!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. When first hearing the saying favor isn't fair, it always bothered me. How can God's favor not be fair. By saying isn't fair, you're using the word unfair which defines as unjust but God is a just God, so how can the two coincide. I was glad when I came across your blog about this subject. It highlighted everything that was shown to me. In my opinion, we must be careful about these catch phrases that may sound good and then used without really defining the meaning of what you're saying. I hear too often in songs as well. So thank you for your insight and what God shown you.

Anonymous said...

I'm positive God approves this message. It always irks me to no end when I hear believers make that statement as well with no biblical support at all to justify saying such a thing .. Thanks for sharing your heart on the matter and truth about the matter.

Anonymous said...

Wow! And thank you for that word, full of power and truth. Keep rightly dividing the word of truth. God bless you.

Unknown said...

I love this message...I often see people post "Favor Ain't Fair". In my mind I think...what God do you serve??? But anyway, that's for the reminder...God is Fair and so is his Favor.

Unknown said...

I....Love...it!!! This may sound crazy but I am having my own Q.T. with God and reading the Bible covering Genesis 4. After reading the chapter, verse 6 stood out to me because I see a good point that speaks out here. We should be happy in the fact that we did do what is right. Yes, verse 4 states that, "The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not..."(NIV). However, it does not say that God loathed Cain's offering. It does not say that he was ungrateful or unappreciative of it. In fact it was probably accepted. In verse 7, it states, "If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you..." (NIV). Again, God didn't say he did the wrong thing. In this situation he just admired or favored Abel's more. Nevertheless, if we know we did the right thing there is no reason for us to be downcast, angry, or jealous.

I realized at the end that this stirs up questions of about favoritism and unfairness of course. So I put in a search on google for scriptures about fairness and came across your blog, which has a lot of scriptures accompanied by a good explanation of the topic of favor and fairness overall. So thank you.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this and I'm so glad I ran across it. I have been saying this for years because I too was convicted the first time I ever heard the phrase. It never sat right with me. How can God be a fair and just God but his favor isn't. It didn't make sense to me. We have to be careful because we have a tendency to gravitate to something that sounds good or catchy, especially when it comes from a well known person who may have coined whatever it is, without researching and studying for ourselves to find out what they said is true or not.

blackbirdfly36 said...

Thank you laura for clearing this up for us. I hear this saying I use to say it but then it start sounding funny. I am so glad i came across your post. Truth brings light and wisdom. much love and blessings.